introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here. introduction to our blog project goes here.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Bratten's Clam Chowder


I am far too young to know what Bratten's really was. All I know is that it was a fabulous restaurant in Salt Lake I grew up eating it's famous clam chowder. I've never had one better. One time when I was little, I thought I was helping my mom cook the clam chowder. I drained the clams in the sink for her after she had opened the cans. As it turns out, you need the clams and the clam juice for this recipe. I guess I didn't get the hint because a month later my mom was making clam chowder, and sure enough, I "helped" her by draining the clams again. Now I will always remember NOT to drain the clams into the sink.

Ingredients
2 cans clams
1 C onions chopped
1 C potatoes
1 C celery
3/4 C flour
3/4 C butter
1 QT half and half
1 1/2 tsp salt
white pepper
1/2 tsp sugar

Instructions
Drain clams. Place vegies in medium pan. Add clam juice and water to cover. Simmer covered over medium heat until potatoes are tender - almsot 20 minutes. In the meantime, melt butter, add flour and blend. Cook 1 min or 2.  Add add half and half. Cook and stir until smooth using a whisk. Add undrained veggies, clams, salt, pepper and sugar.  I like to use fat free half and half because you can cut some of the calories witout loosing out on any of the flavor.

No comments: